Most of us often complain of acidity. Acidity is a condition that arises when the acidic fluid (hydrochloric acid) produced by the gastric glands of the stomach exceeds the normal production. Normally some amount of acid is secreted in our stomach to aid the digestion process. But when an imbalance occurs between the acid secreting mechanism of stomach and the protective mechanism, acid production goes beyond the normal level, giving rise to acidity. The condition is also known as Hyper-acidity and Heartburn. Acidity often leads to the reflux of acidic contents of the stomach. To explain further, the acidic contents leap upward in to the esophagus and make it dysfunctional. The leaping of acid up the esophagus leaves a sour; stale orange puree-like taste in the mouth. This creates much discomfort. The possible acidity triggers are:
1. Consumption of spicy food
3. Skipping meals
4. Alcohol intake
9. Intake of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs
10. Much exposure to sun or heat
14. Food allergy
Acidity produces symptoms like pain in upper abdomen, burning feeling in stomach region or chest area, sour taste in mouth, feeling hungry frequently, belching, nausea, vomiting, flatulence, dryness in throat, coughing etc.
Ways to cure acidity:
1. Avoid taking aerated drinks and caffeinated beverages; rather go for herbal teas
2. Be on a healthy, fiber rich diet and consume regular meals.
3. Take small but frequent meals, so that your stomach secretes less amount of acid at a time to foster digestion.
4. Rectify your improper eating habits through counseling sessions.
5. Do not consume raw vegetables like onion, cabbage and radish in salads, for the increase acid production.
6. Stop drinking water immediately after meals. Give a gap of at least 20-25 minutes.
7. Do not eat sweets at the end of a meal, for it will generate acidity problem.
8. Maintain long intervals between meals.
9. Cut down on smoking and alcohol intake.
10. Eat chewing gum before meals. The saliva generated during chewing facilitates smooth movement of food through esophagus and minimizes symptoms of acidity or heartburn.
11. Do not lie down immediately after a meal, for it triggers acid production.
12. Exercise caution while doing heavy weight lifting jobs, for they put pressure in the abdominal region and this may cause acidity or heartburn.
13. Manage your stress through yoga and meditation.
14. Drink glassful lukewarm water daily.
15. Try out home remedies like drinking of mint juice or glassful of tender coconut water, cold milk or buttermilk, juices of watermelon or cucumber or eating curd rice etc.
16. You can try herbal Arozyme capsules. It is a good cure for acidity or heartburn.